Government is not known for being on the cutting edge of technology, especially when it comes to communication. But recent strides have made it easier than ever to watch what goes on in the Capital and stay in touch with elected leaders. Perhaps the most striking evidence of this change is the arrival of the PA Supreme Court on Twitter!
The Find Your Legislator tool allows anyone to put in their address and get links to the pages of their Senator and Representative.
For every member of the General Assembly (that is State Senator and Representative), their profile page offers links to their contact page, website, Facebook page, Twitter feed, and YouTube page (if available). Email addresses are found on the Senate Email List or House Email List.
The Pennsylvania Legislative Reapportionment Commission is no exception!
- Be informed! They have a website with lots of information and updates. You can also subscribe for instant updates via email or your favorite RSS feed. Also, check my Facebook page or Twitter feed for last minute updates on the status of meetings and where to watch.
- Watch Them In Action! Videos of their public meetings are often posted on their website within 2-3 days. Pileggi’s Redistricting Updates typically posts video within 24 hours of the meeting.
- Watch it Live! Most times, it is possible to watch their public meetings live, from the comfort of your own home. PCN frequently broadcasts (including reapportionment meetings, check the schedule). There are also live video feeds for the PA House and PA Senate.
- Talk to Them! Anyone can share their thoughts with the Commission by using their online contact page, which even allows a file to be sent!
Additional Video Streams
Sometimes, additional video streams can be found on each of the pages of each caucus:
- Senate GOP: http://www.pasenategop.com/
- Senate Dems: http://www.pasenate.com/
- House GOP: http://www.pahousegop.com/
- House Dems: http://www.pahouse.com/
If you are looking for something in particular, be sure to check all seven feeds before assuming it is not airing. It will probably be on one of those streams.
Let Your Voice Be Heard!
If it is a session on the main floor, you can let your Senator/Representative know your thoughts live! When taking a tour of the Capital, my guide described how legislators can actually monitor their communications of constituents from the floor. Some utilize this technology to the extent that they may respond to the message while on the floor or even mention it in their remarks! This is not the set-up in commission or committee meetings, where the legislators are away from their computers.
General Assembly Session & Bill Updates
- RSS Feeds of Session Information
- Subscribe to Daily Session Activity Emails (daily updates)
- Subscribe to Individual Bill Updates (hourly updates)
Know of more ways to keep up with the happenings at our State Capital? Drop me a comment below!